Friday, April 23, 2010

Cheeky Flight?

I have spent the past week in Hermanus, South Africa.  It is best known for their whales. Every Year from June to September the whales come up from Antarctica to South Africa to mate! Since I was not there during those months I didn’t see any whales, but the scenery was stunning. The retreat center where we stayed was in a valley of about four or five mountain ranges.  I really felt like I was in the Blue Ridge Mountains in the fall. The Trees where changing colors. Yes, we are going into the fall down here. The colors on the trees aren’t any where as beautiful as they are back at home, but they are changing.


The Whole Africa team was there: Ethiopia, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa. We spent the mornings in meetings; learning what each other’s ministries were as well as worshiping our savior together. In the Afternoon’s we each got a chance to go on adventures. I went horse Back riding.

I was asked if I ever rode a horse. I told them I had, because I rode with Martha Krabbendam several times in high school and some with the Williamsons as a child. I didn’t know saying this they would presume I was the best rider in the group. The man leading the rides, Peter (that was his English name he had a Xhoasa name but I couldn’t tell you what it was), matched up everyone with a horse. While he was doing this there was one horse who I knew was going to be trouble, because he was trying to untie his lead from the fence. One by one people mounted their horses. This Horse was still not mounted and I was still waiting on being put on a horse. Peter took the bucket up to the horse and said here you go! Dang it! I have been given the crazy horse, or as they say here, Cheeky! I held on to his reins and he started throwing his head back. He didn’t like that. And he started to go. Peter Yelled “Put your brakes on” I put the brakes on and he Stopped but still didn’t like me holding the reins as tightly as I was holding, which I wasnt holding them very tight. I had to barely hold on to them for him to be happy. I asked Peter what the horses name was, He said “Flight” I thought to myself great the others have horses named, Rembrandt and Jessie and Patches, I have FLIGHT! What does this mean for the next hour!

We headed to the beach. I think the first time in my life I can say I didn’t enjoy the beach. As soon as we hit sand, Flight started to trot, and then the trot turned into a gallop. I don’t think I have galloped on a horse before. I was freaked out. I kept yelling Whoa, and Stop while pulling on the reins, but flight didn’t listen, My brakes must have gone out. My foot came out the stirrup. I was sure I was about to eat sand. I said a quick prayer, Got myself balanced, my foot back in place and then Peter whistled and just like that Flight stopped.  My heart was racing. Peter decided that we needed to leave the beach so he took us on some trails in the Mountains.

The trail ride was much better except that Flight didn’t like to be behind anyone. He kept biting Emily Wegners horses butt. Well Jessie didn’t like that to much so she reared back and kicked her! I can’t say I blame her I would have don’t the same thing. She calmed down for a while until Patty Wos and Patches were in front of me, She started doing the same thing. Thankfully Patches didn’t kick her as well. I don’t know what her deal was, but she was Cheeky!
This is Flight! She was Beautiful! But Not Nice

1 comment:

  1. I'm giggling just trying to picture this, as Dad would say - I hope I get to watch a replay of this in heaven! Love you, girl!!!

    ReplyDelete