Friday, June 11, 2010

The Night of the Vuvuzela

I was so thankful that I got to go to a game. When I finally accepted the call to go to South Africa I didn’t realize that I would be there during the World Cup. Once it clicked in my head I thought that it would be fun to go, but never imagined I would actually go to a Game.
One of my supporter’s daughters was studying at the University of Cape Town (UCT) this past semester. She purchased tickets thinking that she would still be here for the game. But she had to go home early to see her brother graduate and go to her Grandmothers Birthday Party.  She called me one night and asked if I wanted her ticket! Of Course I did. It was awesome of her to give it to me. I went on Opening night to the France vs. Uruguay game.
I ended up going over to the Mcginity’s house to watch South Africa vs. Mexico, and then Pamela, Lake and I headed to the stadium after the First game. The Mcginity’s had tickets as well. We left their house a little before 6, for an 8:30 game. We drove to UCT to park and hopped a Bus to the stadium.( You take two buses, One from UCT to the Civic center, then another one from the Civic center to the stadium)  As are bus was pulling out of UCT traffic was at a standstill, which made me concerned that we wouldn’t get to the stadium on time. But then the French team drove by! That was why traffic was stopped.  It was fun to be able to see their Bus! And to think that Henry was on that bus!
The Bus ride was fun! Enthusiastic fans shouting for their teams (some of which weren’t playing that night). Vuvuzela’s were blowing.  Some were even talking (Yelling is more like it) to the people on the street. I think the bus ride might have been one of the best parts of the night.
We got to the stadium park a little after 7. We followed the crowd to what we hoped was the entrance to the stadium. The closer we got the more jammed we became. I felt like a cow being herded in to a coral. It took a little over an hour to get 100 meters. Do you remember when you were a child and you were standing in the middle of a group of Adults. You can’t see anything except those around you. That is how I felt. I was surrounded and all I could see were people’s backs. Pamela finally made me get in front of her, because she kept loosing me.
There were interesting people in this Crowd.  Some of them I could smell the alcohol on them. Some were on the shoulders of friends, shouting for their favorite team; People blowing the Vuvuzela’s and singing the World Cup song.  And even some were dancing.
I finally got to me seat a few minutes before the National Athems were played.  The game itself wasn’t the most fun to watch. It was a little slow. But the atmosphere in the Stadium was great. I even thought that the Vuvuzela’s would drive me crazy, but actually inside they became like a white noise. And I was able to tune them out.  I tuned them out to the point of when the guy behind me would blow his I would jump because I wouldn’t be expecting it. 
I was sad at the beginning of the game because Henry was not starting. Henry is/was (he is getting older) one of the top strikers (center forward) in the Premier league. He plays for Arsenal. (I don’t really have a favorite team in Premier League. I use to cheer for Man U. But I can’t say I am fan anymore since I have really watched it in years.) But Henry came in the last 10 minutes of the game. I was excited to see him play. The game ended 0-0. 

Theirry Henry #12
Leaving the stadium was much like coming into the stadium. I was being herded out. The first bus station was so crowded that we decided we could walk the 2.5 k’s to the civic center faster than waiting on a bus. The walk was interesting; 10 thousand people walking in the same direction. It was hectic. We made it to the Civic center safely and we waited only about 10 minutes for a bus. We got back to the Mcginity’s at 12:30. It was a fun night that I won’t forget. I am thankful that God blessed me with the opportunity.

1 comment: